Monday, January 5, 2009

Disharmony

There are, of course, many basic values and beliefs that underscore my life-song. First and foremost is religion, more specifically my Christian faith.

I am a Roman Catholic, or what is sometimes referred to as a "cradle catholic". My belief in Jesus Christ as well as some of the fundamental beliefs of the Roman Catholic church, like the celebration of the Eucharist and the concept of the Holy Trinity, is integral to who I am. And yet, when compared to my RC friends (and fellow band members - we all met in church choir) I am judged and found to be lacking, not truly worthy to call myself a Catholic. I have dared to question the dictates of Rome, and criticized the unpardonable abuse of innocents that occurred under the mantle of the priesthood. I have questioned decisions that were made by popes in the history of the Church, and pointed out that the decrees set forth in the name of the Lord were in fact decrees dictated by the weaknesses and greed of the men who used His name to further their personal agendas.

But I think the greatest fault of which I am guilty in the eyes of my fellow RC's is that I don't believe that Roman Catholicism is the only true faith. I have been blessed with many good friends in this life: they wear the labels of many different Christian religions, but they are all united in their belief in the law of the Lord, the love of Him, and the inevitable judgement day that will come to us all, regardless of what and how we call each other. I simply can not believe that the good Lord would create all these people, shower them with His love, and then simply abandon them on the day when the last trumpet blows. How can we condem those who we love to be denied everlasting life with Him just to satisfy a religious ego that demands satisfaction by excluding any and all who do not wear the Roman Catholic badge?

I find it very sad that when my friends in the band gather together with me to practice they carefully tiptoe around me lest they trigger dialog that will go against the belief that if faith is not expressed solely in the Roman Catholic fashion then it cannot be true Faith. I am saddened that our friendship is limited by these beliefs. There exists a line in the sand that I will not cross; therefore I will never truely be accepted within my chosen Church.

My true friends worship God in many different arenas: some call themselves Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist, Fundamentalist; some do not worship a Christian faith; a few are Roman Catholic, yet their faith and belief in one great Power who judges us all and sets basic life values is not any different than mine. I am blessed to know these people, and blessed to share my basic Faith with them all.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your openess and relate so much to what you share. A kindred sister, you are, I feel. I look forward to reading more of your random notes, as you write so eloquently and from the heart...my favorite kind of blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! She is also an excellent formatter of schematics and maps in Word, if you ever need that as well...

    ReplyDelete